Friday, June 22, 2018

A Pain In My Neck

In addition to all my ailments, my body likes to fall apart on me. Since the late 1980s, I have had problems with the ulnar tunnel (not carpal tunnel) in my right arm. I have to adapt to cope with it where I can't lean on it, sleep with my arm straight etc. And I have had tennis elbow twice which is a different problem but really just an aggravation.

My right elbow and hand have been bothering me recently - pain and tingling - and I have been stretching for the past few months and it hasn't helped much. I have had to cut back on the weights and exercises at the gym and spoke to the physical therapists there but it has been an increasing problem for me.

So when I was at my rheumatologist a few weeks ago, I mentioned to her that it had been acting up and she referred me to a hand surgeon to get an injection to help with the pain. When I saw her yesterday she told me:

  • They don't do injections for elbow pain like mine anymore because it only seems to mask the pain.
  • The pain in my elbow is the result of microtears in the tendon and I need to rest it, continue to modify my behaviors, use a wrist splint, get a special strap thingy, ice it, and be patient as it can take 2 months to 2 years to recover. (I have to talk to the physical therapist at the gym.) 
  • The tingling in my hand is not related to my elbow issues. Its coming from my neck. Which is where I have a bone spur. I already had PT for this two years ago. This is a real pain in my neck. The doctor's advice is to wait and see if it resolves itself. 
Where is the good resolution I expected from my appointment yesterday? No where. It didn't happen. This is not unusual for me. I have to learn not to expect the magic wand of medical cures for me at any time.

Honestly, I think my body just likes getting revenge for all the years of torment I put it through - ice skating, skiing, hiking, roller blading, bike riding, etc. I had a lot of fun but I might have over done things from time to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crap in life

So currently I am waiting for the following: I am finally getting dental implants started in my jaw. I fell in June, knocked our 3 teeth. It...