Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Weather and Illnesses

Back when I first injured my knee in 2001 (a great day of skiing gone bad) my father said to me 'now you will have a knee to help you tell the weather'. I'm not sure that's true but I can really feel weather changes.

Cold is very cold to me. I have Raynaud's (as a joyous addition to anything else) where my fingers and toes will turn white down to the second joint when they get cold. The only way to get them warm again is to put them in warm water. I can't tolerate cold on my hands. In the winter, when I used to drive home from work on cold days, my fingers would get so cold I would tuck one hand under my leg to try to warm them up - which wouldn't work - even if I was wearing heavy mittens.

I used to be a winter person. I would go out and play in the snow - ski, snow shoe, or just walk in the snow - but now I get to watch the snow fall through the window. I am more stiff and sore than usual in winter. But I can use my heating pad and electric blanket to keep me warm.

That's just one issue.

I like it when its warm out but not when its hot. If it gets too hot and humid, I need to seek refuge in air conditioning. In the awful heat and humidity (over a week of over 90 with high humidity), I was exhausted every day. In addition to amplifying pain, fibromyalgia hates heat. It will flare up. I finally got a good night's sleep after a week of exhaustion - more than usual.

I live in New England where the weather is different every second it seems. Its not necessarily a good climate for me. But I'm here and I will cope... And take advantage of the modern conveniences of AC and heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crap in life

So currently I am waiting for the following: I am finally getting dental implants started in my jaw. I fell in June, knocked our 3 teeth. It...