Tuesday, July 17, 2018

What Is A Chronic Illness?

So I blog about chronic ailments but what are they really? Medicinenet defines them as:

"A chronic disease is one lasting 3 months or more, by the definition of the U.S.National Center for Health Statistics. Chronic diseases generally cannot be prevented by vaccines or cured by medication, nor do they just disappear."

I saw another definition which defined them as one lasting a year or more. (But it doesn't really matter because they all suck.)

Just to be clear an 'acute' ailment will appear and leave. A 'terminal' ailment does you in.

Once you get a chronic illness, you are screwed. Cancer is now treated more as a chronic ailment than a terminal one - if it doesn't do you in at first and you get through treatment, you are monitored for the rest of your life. So if I count those in, I have four chronic ailments. Plus my bad back - it fits the definition of chronic ailments but I'm not sure it is really considered one.

Having chronic illnesses means you have to alter your life and lifestyle permanently. It can be very frustrating, depressing, anxiety inducing, and down right stressful. The emotional strain of having a chronic illness can actually be the worst part.

As always, your emotional side is just as important your physical side. If you wake up on a 'bad day', you just erase your calendar for a couple of days so you can take care of yourself somehow. And that lunch date that you were really waiting for is out the window. Bummer. An emotional let down - something fun that you wanted to do is gone. And so the emotional roller coaster takes a nose dive, again.

And you wonder why so many people with chronic illnesses are often taking anti-depressants. Along with a million other medications. I have three drawers full of prescription bottles that I dig through weekly to fill my pill box - the kind with a big compartment for morning and evening.

Anyway, having a chronic illness or four can just suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crap in life

So currently I am waiting for the following: I am finally getting dental implants started in my jaw. I fell in June, knocked our 3 teeth. It...