Saturday, August 25, 2018

It Might Have Been A Mistake

My husband and I got a brilliant idea - let's go have fun. I mean why not? People should have fun regularly - its good to do things you like to or new things with someone you like to spend time with. But I am not a 'normal' person. I might have a few 'medical conditions' that require treatment and constant medication to keep me stable.

However, I wanted to go have fun. My husband agreed. Last week I was doing some planning and thought we need to do more fun things. I found some local festivals that sounded good. Now festivals are not the best thing for people who can't stand around, wait in line, or over do things. But sometimes I need to push myself a little bit to get out of my deep ruts of sheer laziness.

My husband has always talked about going to see a Celtic festival or Scottish Highland Games. There are a couple of those around. But the big one is expensive, hotel rooms sell out a year a head and just sound too much for us.

But then I found a smaller festival in its 20th year - Quechee Games - Scottish Festival and Competition. The only catch is it is more than two hours away and only goes from 9am - 4pm. We said there was no way we are getting up on and out of the house by 7am on a Saturday morning so we went up the night before (last night), stopping for dinner on the way. We got to our hotel just after 9pm and went to bed.

This morning we got up, had breakfast and got to the festival as it opened. We set up our chairs and watch the competitions - the things we had never seen before. eventually we moved and stood and watched the parade of clans, piping bands, and some highland dancers. My husband stood in the long line and got the food while I stood in the short line and got the beverages ( a good ideal I think).

After we ate, we watched more competition - caber tossing anyone? I am sure I can't toss a telephone pole around at all and these competitors showed it is much harder than it looks.

Our plan was to stay until 4 when it ended. However after lunch, about 130, I started to fade. I told myself I wouldn't think about leaving until 230 so we could watch more of the competitions. I could have fallen asleep in my chair. I was that tired. We left close to 3.

While I greatly appreciated the opportunity to have some fun, do something different, and spend quality time with my husband. I was exhausted. I have been in bed since we got home. My big ambition was to order pizza delivery since we were home.

It might have been a mistake but I really appreciated doing something new.  We don't get to do that very much any more. I may regret it tomorrow..... But I think the benefits of going out and doing something new and different outweighed the potential downside. Even if it costs me a couple days in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crap in life

So currently I am waiting for the following: I am finally getting dental implants started in my jaw. I fell in June, knocked our 3 teeth. It...